Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hofbrauhaus

We left Rothenburg around 1 the next day for Munich. A helpful hint for those hosteling around Europe: keep in mind that if you only stay in the hostel for one night, but plan on staying the rest of the 2nd day in the city, you'll have to haul your stuff around with you because the hostel will make you check out between 10-11am, unless the hostel has a baggage storage facility to store your things until you are ready to actually leave the city. Rothenburg does not have a baggage storage.
We took a 3 hour train to Munich and got to our hostel which was right across the street from the hauptbahnhof (central station). It was fairly nice, but I still think the hostel in Berlin was nicest.
As it turns out, Munich was the most populated and tourist filled of the cities we visited. The main strip that we walked on was full of high end fashion and American restaurants yet was disguised in the old buildings. I've never been to New York City, but from what I've seen on Sex and the City, Munich is a German version of NYC. People were literally everywhere. It was the place I was most worried about being pick-pocketed.

If you travel to Munich, one stop is a must: the Hofbrauhaus, the most famous beer hall in the world. It isn't terribly hard to find. It's on Hofbraustaße, if I recall correctly. It was one of the best times I had during our trip. The whole place is just filled with happy, fat, drunk Germans. You go in and just find somewhere to sit, you could be alone or with a table full of old German men depending on how busy it is. Live German music is played by men in laderhosen and by the end of the night everyone's dancing and singing. It's a real hoot.

The food is FANTASTIC. We shared the Hofbrau Original Sausage platter and the Hofbrau Original pork loin with potatoes au gratin. And apple strudel for dessert. One of the best meals I've ever had in my entire life.


I also ordered the Hofbrau original beer. Banking in at 7.50 euros and 1 liter. ONE LITER. Listen, I've had maybe 4 sips of beer in my life, (primarily because of the whole I'm not 21 thing, but still) and have never really taken a liking to the stuff, (I asked if I could get it in a .5 liter and he just looked at me a little confused and asked "Why?" So 1 liter it was.) but when you're in the most famous beer hall in the world and in Germany, you order a beer. Whether you like it or not. It really wasn't that bad either. All the froth on top definitely helped the taste situation and when that was gone it wasn't as good. But overall, it wasn't repulsive, and added a little something special to the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment