Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Marseilles

Monday morning we got up and took an hour and half long train into Marseilles. Our hostel was a little bizarre, but nice. We walked in and began speaking French (because, well, it's France) and a British guy (who held an uncanny resemblance to my friend Casey) said, "oh, I don't speak French. You speak English right?" Bienvenu à Marseilles.

We walked around the old port which was pretty close to our  hotel and took a 7 euro train tour of the city which led us up to the top of Notre Dame de la Garde which holds one of the most amazing views of the city.






Around dinner time we walked along the pier and shopped at some street vendors. Listen, I couldn't resist. I ended up with quite a lot of souvenirs including a really cute baby sailor themed beret. For what baby you ask? I haven't a clue, but when you see a tiny cute beret in France it's hard to pass up.

For dinner we found an American restaurant the featured buffalo burgers, buffalo meat imported straight from the USA and Canada. How do you say no to that? Listen, you're in France- say no to that. It wasn't terrible by any means, but it wasn't spectacular either. But oh well

Marseilles was really great. We had heard that it was a sketchy, dirty city but I really didn't think so. It's really quite pretty and I'd return again if I ever have the chance.

1 comment: