Sunday, April 29, 2012

Florence

We arrived in Florence Friday the 13th. We managed to find our hostel pretty easily. It turned out to be really nice. It was a private room. The weather was rather warm when we arrived so I shed some layers. That turned out to be a mistake.

We began walking towards the Basilica and it became really cold really fast. We waited in line for 20-30 minutes to get inside the basilica. It was really pretty.




Then of course we had to stop for more gelato. Yogurt and berries this time. SO. GOOD.

We made our way to the Academia building where Michelangelo's David is house. Oh my. It was the most stunning thing I have ever seen. I literally gasped when I saw it. So, so spectacular. He is so tall. I didn't except him to be so tall. And so detailed. Truly amazing. I would return to Florence just to see David again. Photos are, of course, strictly forbidden. (There's a sneaky iPhone photo on my Facebook, don't tell.)
 (this is not the real David in the background, merely a replica)

Then we just walked along the river a bit. Florence is beautiful. I wish the weather would have been nicer. 

The next morning before getting on our train to Rome, we hiked (with all our belongings) to the top of the Piazzale di Michelangelo which holds on of the most fantastic views of Florence. It was breathtaking despite the rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment